Written Canon
RED QUEEN
 Posted: Feb 28 2014, 12:43 AM
N/A
279 posts
N/A
N/A

Written Canon

So our members control the site, we all know that. In addition to the canon that Emma and I have written, our members have written some that you should be aware of.

Member's, give us that canon! Anything you have written into a post that you want to share. For instance, it has been written into canon that only men can rule the Kingdom.

To make clear what Emma and I approve, you will see a note at the bottom of each post saying exactly what we have approved. Additionally, the post will show "edited by:" when we do so.
PMEmailGTalkAIMMSN
^
FOSTER
 Posted: Feb 28 2014, 12:45 AM
N/A
24 posts
N/A
N/A

I wrote stuff about the fae (at least the good fae and stuff) that I think I PMed to you. That is stuff I pretty much mentioned in posting. Briefly, yes, but it is there.

Seelie & Unseelie Sidhe
    --- Two separate faerie courts (both have several princes and princesses).
    --- Both are powerful in glamour (aside from half-blood).
Glamour
    --- Illusion type magic.
    --- Can be used to trick others into seeing/hearing/smelling/tasting/feeling something that isn't really there (such as making someone believe they have no nose even though they can still breathe through it).
    --- Glamour can be broken by using ointments made from the use of a four-leaf clover, Saint-John's-wort, red verbena, daisies, rowan, and ash. These ointments are best rubbed on the eyelids to allow the user to see through glamour.
Other Powers
    --- All fae possess a sensitivity and harmony with nature. Whether it's "reading" a forest, or being able to tell the general distress of an area (or a creature in it), they can do it naturally.
    --- Dark fae have a tendency of being able to tell the same things, but the seelie fae are more adept as they are at home in the living natural world.
Weaknesses
    --- Cold iron
    --- Salt thrown on a fae will disrupt their illusiosn or shatter their glamour altogether (not permanently).
    --- Knowing a fae's real name gives the knower power over them (such as calling for them and the fae is required to show up immediately).
    --- If a fae makes a promise (meaning they initiate the promise with the words "I promise"), they cannot break it for the consequence of death (or being turned completely human).
Quirks
    --- All fae adore shiny objects (jewelry, gems, coins, etc.).
    --- When fae wear clothing it is usually something that has shinies on the cloth (such as sequins, buttons, pendants, etc.).
    --- Fae have no need to eat or drink, but prefer to drink nectar and feast on flowers (for the seelie fae). They are also quite in love with sweet things (honey, etc.).
    --- Most fae who are at home in the wild avoid clothing when in the presence of one another, and sometimes in the presence of other beings (they are not discomforted at all by the thought of being naked).

Most of this has been approved and added into complete canon as shown in the Magic and Creatures thread. That thread clarifies some things in regards to iron and clarifies that most fae adore shiny objects, etc.

This post has been edited by RED QUEEN: Mar 20 2014, 10:37 PM
PM
^
FOSTER
 Posted: Feb 28 2014, 01:07 AM
N/A
24 posts
N/A
N/A

So it was an idea that popped up in the c-box, but all bastard children that don't have last names are given the last name of Black.

I like this idea. I think it's a good idea.

Because in Game of Thrones all the bastards had the last name Snow, regardless of the House they came from. So I think bastards here in the Midnight Kingdom should have something of the same, and that's a mark of shame to carry around with them regardless of their bloodline and birth place.

All bastard children who are not gifted with a last name by their parents automatically get the last name Black.

This is now canon.

This post has been edited by RED QUEEN: Mar 20 2014, 10:44 PM
PM
^
MARTEN LOUPANGE
 Posted: Feb 28 2014, 07:03 PM
N/A
169 posts
N/A
N/A

I mentioned this to Emma, I think, and got the okay, but I have written into Marten's and Reida's histories that serfdom (the employ of people or families living on estates for non-monetary compensation whose roles are legally passed down through generations and is illegal to subvert) is a thing. Whether it has been abolished as a system since the curse, I don't know because I haven't written that. tongue.gif

Also, in the map I drew that Emma has been prettying up and making more legible, I did give names to several towns. On the mainland, there is the city of Ophelia (which is also written into Merricat and Jessamine's histories) and a port town called Port Desmond. In MK there is a port city in the farthest southern part of the island called Port Marion. Also, a few miles south of the Loupange Estate on the very foot of the Central Range is a small town called Garridean, which has been written in posts several times. (If you are wondering if most of those are intentionally named after English literary heroines, the answer is yes.) The map contains the sites of several other townships but they don't have names because I felt bad going in and naming EVERYTHING...

Serfdom was and still is a thing. The location and name of Ophelia, Port Desmond, Port Marion, and Garridean will be made canon on the next map.

This is now canon.

This post has been edited by RED QUEEN: Apr 8 2014, 06:12 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
ACACIA GYLLT
 Posted: Mar 2 2014, 05:06 PM
N/A
9 posts
N/A
N/A

There is a Duke named "Chauvet", his oldest son was "eaten by wolves" when the curse came.

Because of the limited spots for Dukes, this is not not a position that can be taken by a player.

This post has been edited by RED QUEEN: Apr 8 2014, 06:13 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
BEORN KONIG
 Posted: Mar 14 2014, 04:58 AM
N/A
18 posts
N/A
N/A

The porridge is never just right.
PM
^
SILJE HRIMFAXI
 Posted: Mar 21 2014, 02:07 PM
N/A
17 posts
N/A
N/A

Locations, legends and myths
  • On the mainland, there's a small village called Seltenstadt. Some 70 years ago, there lived a mad scientist called Werner Eberstark who went grave-robbing and tried to reanimate human body-parts in a secret laboratory. The result is a legend called the Monster of Eberstark - site's version of Frankenstein's monster.
  • Dunwich, by the tiny Miskatonic creek, was a little hamlet that was utterly destroyed in the storm the curse brought. Located in the south-east part of the island, it is rumoured to be haunted. The inhabitants are said to have been twisted into horrific, impossible shapes and the houses are towering and menacing. The site of many eldrich horrors, the town is best avoided if you want to keep your sanity.
  • In the furthest north of the island lies the small Earldom of Midgard, governed by a clan of Equine Shifters called the Hrimfaxi. The land and its surrounding shire has for centuries been plagued by long, harsh winters, short summers and terrible blizzards due to a curse a fae cast over it. An equally old prophecy tells of a male "Lightbringer" of the Hrimfaxi clan that will eventually "put an end to the troubles of magic" that plagues their little part of the island. The tome is very badly translated and old, so it's hardly trustworthy.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
VERIA KEIGHLEY
 Posted: Mar 22 2014, 10:38 PM
N/A
46 posts
N/A
N/A

The Earldom of Calcheth: a seaside estate on the South Side, also includes the port town of Arigo, located half a day's ride from the Keighley Estate, and a formerly bustling trade center, heavily invested in trade with the mainland. Its residents are scrabbling for another means to make a livelihood.

--------------------
thread tracker
please punch poke me if I haven't replied to a thread <3
PM
^
ELIJAH DEERING
 Posted: Apr 8 2014, 08:32 PM
N/A
20 posts
N/A
N/A

The Pointe (this bit circled in red) has, for as long as anyone can remember, been under the firm control of House Usher, Lords of the Pointe and Keepers of Barrow Harbour, that indent in the west side of it.

Barrow Harbour supported the town of Barrow, a major export point for the area's good to be shipped to the Mainland, until the Curse set in. Now, the occasional ship sails around the island for fear of large caravans moving through the forest, but the shipping business has mostly died, leaving a great many families who depended on it destitute.

Despite the Earl's earnest attempts to help his people by putting his own money into maintaining their well-being, he found himself unable to maintain that kind of expenditure for his people and maintain a lifestyle. When he began to sell land to compensate, unwilling to let his people go to waste, young Elijah Deering seized this opportunity, using his own fortune to take up the land the Earl had to sell.

After the Earl had nearly lost it all, the young Deering revolutionized the area, pouring a vast chunk of his fortune into investing, as he put in roads, cleared large swaths of the forest by the ocean to allow for caravan travel, and lent money out to farmers and tradesmen to jump-start their businesses once again.

Due to the capital he's put into the area, and the subsequent debt it owes him, Elijah Deering is seen as the 'Merchant Baron' of the Pointe. Just kidding, that's what he calls himself; most people just see him as an asshole who saved them.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

listings & affiliates

merc @ wecode